Monday 21 July 2008

Crisis at another cash machine.

Following from Lorraine's blog about cash machines, I also had a near disaster with cash machines (ATMs) abroad.

I was in Canada earlier this year and using an ATM. I was surprised to find that the order of transaction was:
  • I requested my money,
  • my money was given,
  • my cash card was then returned.
Thankfully, on each occasion that I walked away from the cash machine having taken my money but not waiting for my card, a kind person would point out my error.

The UK order of transaction is:
  • I request money
  • my cash card is returned,
  • my money is given.
Personally, I see the UK process as much securer.

This goes to show that once we are used to a particular practice, we assume it's a given, familiarity of the process is built up. I too am in favour for championing the standardisation of ATMs internationally.

This got me thinking, cash machines and mobiles have similar numerical interfaces in the UK, but what about the calculator! Perhaps that's for another blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I noticed the same thing in the US. A Bank of America ATM gave me my money, then my card, causing me to initially think that it had swallowed my card!