Thursday 7 August 2008

Self-serving Marks and Spencer

During a trip to the shops on my break, I decided to test the self-serve checkouts at my nearest Marks & Spencer. Although I have used these checkouts in the past at other Supermarkets, I do not shop as often at M&S so this was a new experience.

There is no doubt that much thought goes into the design of such machines to make it as easy as possible for people of all ages to operate these check-outs. This is demonstrated by my positive experience. However I had to wonder who decided to provide your larger denominations of change (£5, £10 notes) underneath the scanner, miles away from all the other payment options?
To the left, above carrier bags are several slots for credit cards, notes, coin change and receipt print-outs, so why not provide all your change in the same place? After spending a few seconds searching for my fiver, I was about ready to complain when a very helpful member of staff pointed out the whereabouts of my money. This suggested to me that I was not the first and wouldn't be the last to get confused by this set up.

It also proves the value in placing a member of staff at self-serve checkouts for any issues customers may have. It provides reassurance for less confident customers, encouraging those who have never used the system before to give it a try.

No comments: