Sunday 1 February 2009

Good Vibrations via my mobile

For the past week I have been in that rapture of getting a new phone and enjoying all the new features and improvements from my previous one. After a long flirtation with the iPhone, I finally committed myself to the HTC Touch HD, and I have no regrets.

I have actually been using the HTC products for my past 3 phones, although branded as the Orange SPV range, before HTC had the brand confidence to lose the alias. Among the many features (like the iPhone, it lets you flick things around the display, and also has great photo image quality and connection speeds) one of my favourite is not something I see or hear but rather feel.

The HTC Touch is the first phone I have that uses vibrations for more than letting me know when calls or messages are incoming when I am in a movie or meeting where a ring would be a nuisance. The phone uses
haptic feedback via a short vibration or bump to let me know when little things have happened such as:
  • my call has been answered
  • moving to a new web page
  • closing an application
  • the little ball in the 'Teeter' game is bumping into a wall (see video of it being demonstrated on the HTC Diamond)







Its a tiny feature but I am surprised at how much it adds to my overall experience and enjoyment of the phone.

I recall doing some experiments in haptics, the sense of touch and psychophysics way back in my university days but this is the first product I have had that has elegantly integrated it into the usage (aside from the Wii on the gaming front). Thinking back to my previous phone I realise that often when I made a call I had to alternate between holding the phone to my ear and looking at the display to see if it had been answered, particularly in a noisy environment like a gig or a bar. A minor issue in the grand scheme of things, but still one that is better off solved through a gentle vibration.

No doubt haptics will be integrated into more things and, used wisely, should be a positive contribution to
mobile phone and consumer product usability. I certainly am looking forward to it as products make best use of all of our senses.

No comments: